Working Hours: Full-time
Job ID: 013
A unique, energetic startup within the planning world, Urban Intelligence is a technology business that seeks to transform the planning system from being document-based to data-based. We are currently looking for an exceptional Senior Data Scientist with at least three (3) years of industry experience working with a variety of data. We are developing a first-of-a-kind product for urban planning that makes use of a variety of public and private sector data including text, geographic and market/economic data.
What will you be doing?
As our Senior Data Scientist, you will have the opportunity to experiment with a variety of datasets to help us to analyse and develop insights for practical use in ‘Howard’, our tool that is currently used by a variety of professionals in the property industry including planners, architects, property developers. Your tasks will include:
- Establishing a clear understanding of planning data, information and methods by working closely with members of our multidisciplinary team
- Independently undertaking a variety of complex analyses on legislation, policy, economic, demographic and geographical data sets aggregated on Howard and how they correlate, applying cutting-edge data science
- Contributing to the development of product features by generating insights from data analysis
- Contributing to the long-term product roadmap
- Participating in Urban Intelligence’s thought-leadership and advocacy in digital planning by writing blog articles and reports
As a Senior Data Scientist at Urban Intelligence, you will gain skills, knowledge and experience working with a multidisciplinary team and have the opportunity to put your training in data science to meaningful, practical use. As our chief experimenter, you will be free to explore the complex relationships that exist among the data we hold; you will also be expected to think independently and suggest to us what other data would be interesting to look at in conjunction! Your work will empower our users to work with the best planning insights available in the market.
Who are you?
The following attributes are essential:
- An advanced degree (e.g., PhD) in a numeric discipline (e.g., Statistics, Machine Learning, Computer Science, Engineering, and Physics)
- At least 3+ years of experience developing the following core skills / knowledge:
- Scientific expertise and applied experience in Machine Learning (ideally, a combination of excellent academic research and high-impact commercial projects);
- In depth understanding of common Machine Learning algorithms (e.g., for classification, regression and clustering);
- Experience with relevant research associated with natural language processing (NLP), adversarial learning, reinforcement learning, active learning, probabilistic bayesian learning, and/or semi-supervised/multitask learning; and
- In depth knowledge of advanced statistical theories, methodologies, and inference tools (e.g., hypothesis testing, (generalized) linear models, additive models, mixture models, non-parametric models).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (communication to non-technical team members is critical in our interdisciplinary team)
- A self-starter, keen to make an impact
It would also be nice if you have:
- Advanced programming skills in Python and/or R (and their related data processing, Machine Learning, and visualization libraries)
- Practical experience in preparing data for Machine Learning (e.g., using SQL and/or NoSQL technologies)
- Experience working with spatial data
- An interest in property, economics, cities, society and/or the environment
Who are we?
We are a small, young and energetic team with a range of experience in planning and other fields. We have offices in London (Clerkenwell) and Cardiff. For the past 3+ years we have been pioneering the ‘Future of Planning’, working with the likes of Ordnance Survey, the Department for Communities and Local Government and the Future Cities Catapult.
We are building a data-driven planning potential analysis platform by aggregating and analysing planning and other built environment data to arrive at the most sustainable locations for development. Our first product, Howard, is a reference tool for built environment professionals that has planning policy documents aggregated in one central database in a machine-readable format and geocoded on a map on a citywide scale, which has never been done before. We currently have 20+ business customers and >200 professional users.
We have received investment and support from the Development Bank of Wales, UCL, Virgin Startup, Pi Labs (Europe’s first property technology VC fund), Ordnance Survey (the UK’s mapping agency) and a group of outstanding business angels with a range of planning and property experience. We have been featured in The Guardian, Estates Gazette, The Times, Tech City News, The Planner, among others, and are regularly invited to speak at conferences and events involving tech and planning, smart cities, etc., as we are recognised to be at the forefront of the #PlanTech / ‘Future of Planning’ movement for our work.
Lastly, we are a friendly bunch that care deeply about cities, society and the environment. We have lunch together most days, and discuss everything from business to politics and history. We go out for a pint after work every now and then and hope you will feel at home with us, too.
We can offer:
You will play a key role in our small team and have a profound influence on our product. You will come to work every day driven by the mission to clear up the UK’s opaque and messy planning system and ensure that developments go to the most (economically, socially and environmentally) sustainable locations in these rapidly urbanising times. You will take full advantage of the chance to build a first-of-its-kind solution to disrupt a massive, important industry that is yet to embrace a digital revolution. If you have a passion for problem-solving, you will never run out of interesting challenges here at Urban Intelligence.
In addition, we offer the following:
- Competitive compensation package: salary of £35,000 – £45,000 + equity (commensurate with experience)
- Work with other innovators either at our new office at Tramshed TECH (5 minutes walk from Cardiff Central station) or at the Ordnance Survey Geovation Hub in London (5 minutes walk from Old Street)
- The ability to work with individuals and organisations that are at the forefront of digital planning
- Close-knit, friendly team culture (with plenty of social opportunities)
- Send us your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (with the JOB ID 013 in the subject).
- 15 minute telephone interview with the Technical Lead
- An in-person interview with the Technical Lead
- An in-person interview with the Co-Founders
Strictly no agencies!